Sunday 3 March 2013

Post Concert High

Yesterday was the Kokopelli Choir Association's STORIES concert. And what a concert it was. The entire day was so full of a range of emotions, due the the performances themselves. And certainly one of my favorite concerts. I was so proud to be a part of it. There was quite the variety of music selections, and everyone sang beautifully. There is so much anticipation and work that goes into it, and then all of the sudden the day is here. I always get so excited for concerts, I admit performing is one of my true joys in life. There were so many elements of artistry that went into it. Choral singing mixed with video, lighting, and movement made for a very innovative concert. Both of the younger choirs performed in the concerts as well. Kikimasu in the afternoon and Shumayela in the evening. Watching them gave me a very proud 'parent' moment. They have worked so hard and they did beautifully! Their sound was so good and the movement was so clean and added so much. I heard a lot of feedback from people about how well they did, and I do agree. Kokopelli sounded so good as well. I am so impressed with how much they are able to do. Watching them perform made me miss being in Kokopelli. The years I got to sing in Koko were very happy, and I met some of my closest friends during that time. So Kokopelli will always have a place in my heart. Singing with Oran was wonderful, and there are so many times whether I'm rehearsing with them or performing I just feel incredibly lucky to be singing with such a talented group of people. Its not a common thing to be able to take part in such a high level of musicianship with so many other people. They all love music just as much as I do. We sang a piece called Canticum Calamitatis Maritimae. I admit when we first started looking at this song I did not like it. It is a very difficult piece and it really didn't make sense to me. But the more we practiced and practiced and practiced, it came together. And it became more than just a bunch of confusing notes on the page, it was an incredible tribute to hundreds of people who lost their lives on the sinking of the M.S. Estonia ferry. You should look it up.

Not only was I happy to be part of such a concert, but I was so glad to share it with many family and friends I love. My grandparents drove down from Whitecourt to come to the concert, and brought my Aunt Francine, cousin Courtney, and Courtney's new husband Zach. This meant a lot to me, since never have I had any family come to a concert since I've been in Kokopelli. My family has been so supportive in my music, they have come to countless choir concerts, plays, and drum corps shows. But since my family moved to Ottawa, the distance has made it pretty impossible for them to come. I know that my parents would love to be here, so that is why having my grandparents come meant so much to me. How did I get so lucky to have such amazing family members? I also had lots of friends come out as well, and that is always a treat. Performing is great, but its even better when you have someone in the audience that is routing you on.

Today has been a nice relaxing day. I am attempting to make bread. It started out alright, but I was letting it rise while in the bowl still. I had turned the oven on to preheat it and must of had the bowl a bit too close. Because the next time I checked it the dough had started baking already. Oops. So I picked off the cooked parts and put the rest into loaves. haha. It smells good, so that's a good sign. Perhaps not the best batch ever, but hey learning process right? Maybe one day my Mom will teach me all her bread baking secrets. :)

Well friends, I hope you all have a lovely week. Stay posted for videos released from the concert. I can't wait to see some!



No comments:

Post a Comment