Saturday 4 July 2015

A Canadian Girl Sweats in Venice

The title pretty much says it all. Hot. So much heat. My flight was delayed many times after we boarded. I slept the whole time, so I didn't mind much then. Finally we took off. And when we arrived it was just getting dark. Then I remembered why I had booked an earlier flight, so I wouldn't have to navigate to my hostel in the dark. I knew it was tricky to find ahead of time, which is why I wanted light just to be sure. It was a nightmare to find. The info they sent out wasn't up to date, I relied on many helpful Italians to continually lead me in the right direction, which were answers to prayers. Then I had to walk a long ways to the actual hostel from the bus stop. Too long. I got lost multiple times, and finally found it. I was exhausted. The night security didn't understand that I wanted to check in, since reception was closed. Another good soul helped me out again explaining to him. I got to my tent, yes a tent with bunk beds in it. Did I mention this was my cheapest hostel by far? Yeah now I knew why. Already occupied by two sleepers, who smelled....bad. It was very hot too with no ventilation. I resigned myself to making it through these two nights, and buying extra gelato with the money I was saving.

I made it through to morning, I didn't sleep too bad actually. And then I was ready for Venice. Luckily the hostel has a shuttle to Venice so I didn't have to figure out public transit going the opposite way. But they don't tell you how fast it fills up. So I had to wait an extra hour, since the 9 am shuttle was already full. I was a little peeved. But ate breakfast and read in the shade. Not a bad thing.

I got to Venice and was blown away by the old beauty. Its very touristy right at the beginning but I didn't have to go far to discover the places where hardly anyone was. I loved it! This is where people lived their lives. This was their everyday! It was beautiful. And my favorite part of Venice.

The moment I stepped off the bus I was sweaty. And pretty much stayed that way all day. Its too bad my sweat is salty, otherwise the copious amounts of pigeons could have bathed in the pools of sweat that drained off me. I made it to San Marco square, home of St. Marks basilica. And I also had my first gelato. It was grand. I continued exploring and started looking for some sort of shade. The sun was frying my white girl self. Even though I had put sunscreen on, I didn't bring it to reapply. Rookie mistake.
I found a little art walk in a park that had shade. I had a short nap on the grass and when I woke up the guide lady said I couldn't lay on the grass. Oops. So I moved to a bench and watched a pigeon come right up to me. I was so taken with the pigeon that I didn't realize I had ants crawling on my feet. The pigeon started eating the ones on the ground, which is what made me realize eventually. Otherwise I would have had more bites. I had lunch in this park, since I loved the shade.

I did more exploring along the coast then decided it was time to go in St. Marks. On my way back I found Vivaldi's church. Where he composed many of his works. There used to be a girls orphanage behind the church and he would teach them music and they would preform in his concerts. I found it fascinating! There was a concert that night and I so wanted to go. They were performing Vivaldi's Four seasons in that church, but it was so late the idea of taking the public transport again made me cringe. So I decided to just listen to the music they had playing in there while I sat for a time. Vivaldi makes me think of my preschoolers, cause we talked about him a couple times while I was teaching him. Its so cute to hear 3-4 year olds say Vivaldi! I also caught a music museum later on that had so many instruments. It was beautiful. And free!

I went through St. Marks basilica. They made you buy a scarf if your shoulders or your knees were showing. Modesty for a win, no extra moneys for me! I thought the basilica was stunning. When I got out I saw people standing up on a walkway tight below the roof. I wanted to do that! So I waited in line again and paid my €5. Turns out there was a museum up there too, so well worth it. Especially since the basilica is free otherwise. And I got to look at all the mosaics around the church super up close. I loved it.

After, I decided I would wander and find the Rialto bridge. But reading a map in Venice doesn't help me. Its one big maze. I ended up on the other side of the city. The side I needed to be on catch my shuttle. But I figured I'd have enough time to find it and return. Luckily there were signs leading all the way there. All the way turned out to be further than I anticipated...and finally got there. With just enough time to snap a picture of the side of the bridge (I didn't even see the front of it) and run back to the Pizzalle Roma, where my shuttle would be. I had the fear that I would miss it and have to take public transit again fueling my steps. And I made it in plenty of time. Now I can say that I saw the Rialto bridge.

Back at the hostel I planned to go swimming, but they were having a wild pool party. So I opted for bed instead. The two smelly sleepers were in the same spot as when I got in last night and left in the morning. I don't know if they even moved....but I do know that I certainly contributed to the smelliness this time. I stunk. I opted to shower in the morning since I figured sleeping in there would taint my smell anyways. Might as well save the freshness for the people on the train. I'm so considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment