Wednesday 1 July 2015

Iceland

My trip began from Edmonton. I got through airport security with no problems and then waited. My friend Jeanie from choir was actually on my same flight. So we visited for a while. The plane was through the night, and never got dark. I slept for about 30 minutes. Then not really again. At one point the sky was divided with purple on the bottom and light blue on top. The moon was so bright! And it was beautiful! I saw the icebergs as we flew over too, which was really neat. And then Iceland came into view. What a beautiful country! Before I even landed I could see it out my plane window and got so excited. It did not disappoint. I got in at 6:40am and got through customs without any issues. Then I caught a shuttle bus to Reykjavik. Once in the city a smaller bus me to my hostel. The people there were very nice, and it was a great location. Hlemmur Square, I recommend it! I ate breakfast there and then went exploring. Reykjavik is a very bright city, lots of brightly painted houses. It was really quite lovely. I saw this church, the name I don't remember. Nor could I pronounce. Most Icelandic words actually I was pretty hopeless with.

After exploring I went back to my hostel to await pickup for my horseback riding/whale watching tour. They were supposed to come somewhere between 12:30-12:50. I was there at 12:10. But here's the thing, I was a tad exhausted/jet lagged from my all nighter. So I dozed off. I awoke with a start at 12:35. Now potentially they were there in those five minutes and I didn't hear them or they forgot to pick me up. Either way I started sweating a little bit, because this tour was a big reason I decided to go to Iceland. Luckily the receptionist was super helpful and called them. They sent a taxi to get me, which they paid for. So maybe it wasn't my fault? Anyways, I was off to ride cute small strong Icelandic horses. It was pretty awesome. Because I had been riding many times I got to go in the fast group with Stormy, a gelding with speed on his mind. It was great. The countryside was so gorgeous! Right now there a purple flowers all over the place. Fields and fields of them! It was a good two hour ride and I got to visit a lot with the guide who was from Sweden. Everyone I met in Iceland was incredibly nice!

After the ride they took me straight to the docks. I boarded a ship and put on my super warm full body floatation suit. It insulates and floats! Good thing for Icelandic boat rides. I was crazy excited. I even brought my binoculars from home. I was set! I was giddy with anticipation. I sent out lots of good vibes so that I would see a whale. It took a little bit, but finally we spotted our first minke whale! And then many more. It was soooo cool! We also saw some dolphins. When waiting in between sightings there was one point where I was kneeling on the front deck and full out fell asleep. Dude jet lag got me. But I perked up quickly when I heard a sighting. Then I was good for a while again. It was a three hour tour. Iceland is just so beautiful!

Back at my hostel I got to my dorm and almost fell asleep instantly. Before I took out my contacts or locked up my bag. I daily remember doing those things.

The next morning I was trying to figure out what to do. I was planning on going to the blue lagoon, but didn't prebook and all the spots I could male filled up. So I went exploring around Reykjavik and found a bike rental place. This was great! I got to ride around the entire Reykjavik peninsula, all along the coast. I saw lighthouses, and so many kinds of birds and other beautiful sights. With the mountains in the distance. I got a bit turned around for a little, but got back on track and found the thermal beach before I had to head back. The eater was so warm, and just down from it was cold. It was crazy! Next time I'll bring my swimsuit cause they have free hot pools there too. I sped back to return my bike and got to my hostel just in time for my shuttle to the airport.

I got to the airport sad to be leaving. But it was all for naught. Apparently they overbooked the plane and asked if I would be willing to stay another night, where they would cover my room, transport to and from the airport, three meals, and 400€. I didn't have to decide long, especially after hearing the 400€ part. That would more than cover my whole Iceland experience. Tours and all. Woot! And I got to spend an extra night there. It was like I won the lottery! So I headed back to the city and checked into my own hotel room. Seriously the fanciest part of my trip. Its going to make the rest of my hostels seem not as cool. Haha. It was a harbor view room with a balcony. The staff were so kind. And the food was amazing! Iceland is not cheap. So when I got to order any two things on the menu, I went full out. A delicious flat bread pizza with grilled chicken, avocado, peanut butter hummus, seeds, parmesan cheese, and more fancy stuff I don't know the name of. It was a taste sensation! A celebration on a ....flat bread! Next I got their famous fish soup. Made from fresh catches of the day. So much flavour. Tomato based with just the right seasoning, and lots of pieces of shrimp and other delicacies. To go with it was a bread and dip, this fancy olive oil marinara sort of dip. Had it been appropriate I would licked out the bowl. I got as much as I could with my bread.

Then it was off to the blur lagoon. I was happy to go, since I hadn't gotten a chance earlier. It was a bit of a trip away, but quite lovely. I didn't get too long in there since I had to catch a shuttle back. But I got a solid hour. Enough time to give myself two face masks, go in the steam room, the sauna, stand under the waterfall, and float around for a bit. The mud is supposed to have healing powers, but I think it made my skin worse. That or I was sunburned. Regardless I am glad I went. It was very relaxing. Back at my hotel room I enjoyed the view and the luxurious amenities. Thanks to the sun never setting, I didn't go to bed until much later than I anticipated. Especially since I had to wake up at 4:30 the next day. I regret not taking the afternoon flight when asked earlier on. But it was too late to change that. So three hours after going to bed I was up to go to the airport. They gave me a lovely packed lunch since I would miss breakfast and I was off. I ate and admired the landscape all the way to the airport.

My flight went without a hitch. And I slept the entire time. Next stop: London!

No comments:

Post a Comment