Saturday 11 July 2015

Back in London.

It was a lovely day. I got to stay with my friend Nefer again. Her cousin is also out staying with her. They were planning on heading into London to go see Phantom of the Opera. I was planning on a theatre day too, but I had a priority list of shows I wanted to see on the West End. London's equivalent of Broadway. I was in heaven! Since I had seen Phantom already I opted for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Miss Saigon. I had done my research and found that many shows offer 'day seats'. Kind of the like NY's rush tickets. Usually you have to line up before the box office opens and they release a certain amount of front row seats for around £20. A steal of a deal! I headed to Miss Saigon box office first and asked if they by chance had any day seats left. It was 12:30 by the point, so I didn't really think they would. But it was a two show day, so maybe. They didn't have any for the matinee, but they had one ticket left in the front row for £20, and it went straight to me. I was thrilled! Then we headed to the theatre where Charlie was playing. They don't do day seats, but the very back row is only £20. So I took it for the matinee. Sadly I left my binoculars at Nefer's house. I brought them solely for this purpose. All well, I really only needed them for Charlie.

Before our shows Nefer, Kleidi and I explored Piccadilly Circus and that area. Then we grabbed some lunch. It was way delicious, at Nandos. Then we headed our separate directions. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is done by the same people who made Matilda the Musical, which I had seen and loved. It was very well done. The special effects were amazing! I was totally taken into a different world. It was bright and catchy and wonderful! And the view from the very back row really wasn't that bad. I could see everything through the whole show. But there was a person or two that occasionally was checking their phone. This is a GIANT pet peeve of mine. Come on people, can you not live without your phone for an hour til intermission, or the show is over. And if you can't that's just sad. But you should at least stay in the hall and do it.

After the show I went and met up with Nef again and we all got dessert at a French Patisserie. It was delicious! We sat on a bench and loved every morsel while enjoying a lively conversation. Before long it was time for me to head to show number two. I was soooooo excited to sit in the front row. I love being so close to the stage. I feel like I'm part of the show. Then it started. I knew it was based on Madame Butterfly, but really wasn't familiar with the music. It started and was a bit scandalous, I wasn't expecting that. Luckily it cleared out and I could enjoy the rest of the show. The actors had amazing voices. Seriously, a man that can sing is the right kind of man. The lead girl who plays Kim was insanely talented. Her voice. Then I found out that she just graduated high school. What?! Crazy young talent. Me thinks this show should come to Broadway, I'm pretty sure she'd win the Tony award.

The show had some crazy effects too. Including an actual helicopter landing on the stage. And the way they did it made you feel the wind of it coming all the way through the theatre. I honestly thought it was flying over top of me for a bit. Oh I felt all the emotions. Especially at the end of the show. This story leaves me a blubbering mess. Seriously they need to give me more time before the house lights come up. So I can process. Overall there are some parts I'd leave out, but Miss Saigon also transported me to another world. Vietnam during the war. What a show!

Then I left the theatre. Sadly here in the West End you have to buy your programs. No freebies like all the Playbills in NYC. They charge £4 per program. And I had a giant moral debate about whether or not to buy one. I do have a collection, but £4 is a lot. So I bought one from Charlie (using all my change) and then snooped a display one for Miss Saigon. At least I have one show. That'll be enough. Now I'm on the train heading back. I like theatre days.

No comments:

Post a Comment